Understanding Task 2
You must use the rubric to direct the creation of your submission because it provides detailed
criteria that will be used to evaluate your work. Each requirement below may be evaluated by
more than one rubric aspect. The rubric aspect titles may contain hyperlinks to relevant portions
of the course.
A. Write a summary of the significance and background of a healthcare problem by doing the
1. Describe a healthcare problem that can be used to develop a PICO question.
Note: You may use the same topic and the same research articles that were used in Task 1 provided they
support the proposed intervention. Or you may choose a different topic and select articles focusing on one
of the following topics: falls and fall prevention, pain management in children, opioid abuse, hepatitis C,
catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and hand hygiene and infections in hospitals.
• APA Header: Healthcare Problems:
o Rubric: The described healthcare problem contains enough detail that it can be
used to develop a PICO question. The described healthcare problem is one that is
currently prioritized in healthcare organizations.
2. Explain the significance of the problem from part A1.
• APA Header: Significance of Problem
o Rubric: The explanation thoroughly addresses the significance of the problem
described in part A1.” The explanation contains enough detail to address the
significance of the problem described in part A1.
3. Describe the current healthcare practices related to the problem from part A1.
• APA Header: Current Practice
o Rubric: The description incorporates specific examples of the current healthcare
practices related to the described problem from part A1.
4. Discuss how the problem affects the organization and patients’ cultural background (i.e.,
values, health behavior, and preferences).
• APA Header: Impact on Background
o Rubric: The discussion incorporates specific details of how the problem affects
the organization and specific examples of how the problem impacts the patient’s
B. Complete a literature review by searching for a total of seven articles consisting
of five research articles and two non-research articles related to the healthcare problem from
part A1, and describe the search strategy you used to conduct the literature review by doing
1. Discuss two research evidence sources and two nonresearch evidence sources that you considered.
Note: Please do not use the same primary author for more than two articles. Articles must not be
more than five years old.
• APA Header: Evidence Sources
o Rubric: The discussion of 2 research evidence sources and 2 nonresearch
evidence sources conveys a level of understanding in relation to appropriate
scholarly and secular sources.
C. Use your research articles to develop a PICO (patient/population, intervention/indicator,
comparison/control, and outcome) question based on the topic.
• APA Header: PICO Question
o Rubric: The developed question includes all elements of PICO
(patient/population, intervention/indicator, comparison/control, and outcome), is
based on the topic and uses research from part B.
D. Complete the attached “Evidence Matrix,” using the five research evidence sources from
scholarly journal sources you located during the literature review in part B. For each article,
address the following points:
Note: You may submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task, or you may
include the matrix within your paper, aligned to APA formatting standards.
Note: Upload a copy of the full text of the articles with your submission.
• author, journal name, and year of publication
• research design (e.g., quantitative, qualitative, mixed design, systematic review)
• sample size (e.g., numbers of study participants, number of articles, number of
control group participants)
• outcome variables measured (e.g., identify what the research is measuring)
• quality (using the following scale: A, B, C)
• results/author’s conclusions (e.g., briefly summarize the outcome)
• Download the Evidence Matrix
o Rubric: The “Evidence Matrix” attachment includes the 5 sources from part B,
and the scholarly journal sources are located in major medical databases. All of
the given points are accurately or logically addressed for each source.
E. Recommend a practice change that addresses the PICO question, using the evidence collected
in the attached “Evidence Matrix.” You must use all five research articles from the “Evidence
Matrix” attachment to support this recommendation via in-text citations.
• APA Header: Recommended Practice Change
o Rubric: The recommended practice change is an logical outcome of the PICO
question and is supported by the evidence collected in the “Evidence Matrix”
attachment. All 5 research articles from the “Evidence Matrix” attachment are
used via in-text citations to support the recommendation.
F. Describe a process for implementing the practice change from part E in which you do the
1. Explain how you would involve three key stakeholders in the decision to implement the
recommendation from part E.
• APA Header: Key Stakeholders
o Rubric: The explanation shows an effective way for 3 key stakeholders to be
involved in the decision to implement the recommendation from part E.
1. Describe two specific barriers you may encounter when implementing the practice
change from part E in the nursing practice setting.
• APA Header: Barriers
o Rubric: The description addresses 2 plausible barriers that may be encountered
when implementing the practice change from part E in a nursing practice setting.
2. Identify two strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers described in part F2.
• APA Header: Strategies for Barriers
o Rubric: 2 strategies that could be used to overcome the barriers described in part
F2 are identified.
3. Identify one indicator to measure the outcome (the O in PICO question) of the
recommended change practice from part E.
• APA Header: Indicator to Measure Outcome
o Rubric: The 1 identified indicator would measure the outcome of the
recommended practice change from part E.
G. Acknowledge sources, using APA-formatted in-text citations and references, for content that
is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
o Rubric: The submission includes in-text citations and references for content that
is quoted, paraphrased, or summarized and demonstrates a consistent application
of APA style.
H. Demonstrate professional communication in the content and presentation of your submission.
o Rubric: Content reflects attention to detail, is organized, and focuses on the
main ideas as prescribed in the task or chosen by the candidate. Terminology
is pertinent, is used correctly, and effectively conveys the intended meaning.
Mechanics, usage, and grammar promote accurate interpretation and