Understanding the history of English language learner (ELL) reform is essential for teachers. Knowledge of Supreme Court cases and resulting public policies involving ELLs will help teachers reflect on and improve their instructional practices as they are required to adhere to federal expectations. An awareness of the guardrails that policies provide, helps put into perspective the obstacles that students, families, and educators have overcome historically and can help shape future decisions affecting ELLs.
Imagine you are part of an ELL task force for a school district and the first part of your work is to create a presentation for a school board meeting informing school leaders and other stakeholders of federal and state policies affecting ELLs.
Choose one of the following deliverables to complete this assignment:
- Chart or graphic organizer (500-750 words), including documentation of resources
- Brochure (400-600 words with a minimum of three graphics), including documentation of resources
Using the topic Resources, your own research, and the deliverable of your choice, include the following in your presentation:
- Description of at least three Supreme Court cases affecting the planning, teaching, and/or assessment of English language learners.
- Explanation of overall guidelines that school districts must follow to demonstrate federal compliance regarding their ELL population.
- Summary of demographic information for the K-12 ELL population from your state and state-specific policies related to ELL identification, services/programs, and reclassification in your state.
- A minimum of three recommendations for how to advocate for the educational rights of ELLs using the knowledge gained of school, district, and governmental policies and legislation that affect ELLs.
Support your deliverable with 3-5 scholarly resources.
If applicable, the deliverable should include graphics that are relevant to the content, visually appealing, and use space appropriately.
While APA Style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.